Friday, March 28, 2014

Halfway There

So I'm trying to keep up with my blog and I'm currently looking to do anything but my American Politics essay.
Procrastination at its best.
I am now halfway done with my semester abroad.
I cannot believe how fast time has flown.
I feel like it was just yesterday when I was arriving and settling in.
When I look back at everything I have done since I have arrived I am astonished and thankful.
I have had opportunities of a lifetime and I can't imagine what the next half holds.
I also cannot believe how easily and quickly I caught on to navigating one of the world's biggest cities.
Coming from such a small town this was a huge feat for me.
I could actually live here if you know I was filthy rich and didn't hate crowds and cement.
I came here with so many misconceptions of England and London.
Sure there are things where I was right about, but I want to focus on the myths that I or people back home believe.

1. Contrary to what we believe Brits do not walk around saying "cheerio" or "bloody hell".
 I'm sorry to break all your hearts but the most common phrases are things like "cheers".

2. THEY DO NOT DRINK WARM BEER!
I need to make this point for all the boys out there (Steven Mallow) who believe that they drink warm beer.
Their beer or ales are actually at cellar temperature which is about 40 degrees F.
This is relatively cool and honestly it's better because you can taste the flavor more.

3. That if you travel to London you will get taken.
Yeah I didn't get taken nor have I felt like I was going to.
Except for the brief instant when I was walking to the bus station at 3 am by myself.

4. All they eat is fish n' chips. Even though this is one of their most well-known foods it is not the only thing they eat.
The food here is very diverse and delicious.
Indian food is actually incredibly popular.

5. They hate Americans.
On the contrary, they LOVE us.
Our accents, our food, our money, and our politics.
I have not found one person who says they hate America.

Now these are just a few myths about things I have learned living here.
It is incredible all the things I have learned in such a short amount of time.
I hope after I leave that this isn't the end of my visits to London.
It is an incredible historical and culture packed city.
If you ever have the chance to come to England, DO IT!

Until next time,
xoxoxoxo Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment